Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Congratulations Team 2008


To the new committee members of Higher Ground! For some of you, this could mean a leap of faith from a follower to a leader. For some, this means stepping out from your comfort zone into a different level of leadership; a different experience at least. Now, a typical committee would perceive the HG Coordinator to be superior compared to the rest. I personally believe that this mindset should be wiped-out from your minds. The bible says we are the body. And if any part, organ or piece is not in good shape, it will eventually weaken the rest of the body. I’ve once been in the committee and I can guarantee you that as long as one mere fellow starts backstabbing the other, it will only end with the demise of the committee’s function. I’m exaggerating a little but this is a possible upshot. So, if there are any disagreements, lay it out on the table right away, talk things through. If anyone refuses to listen, pin them down, drill their ears a bigger hole. Listen more, complain less. Be more optimistic and hopeful because in God, all things are possible. Amen?


I’ve got a whole list of things to say. So I’ll start slow... (I’m just about to begin… =P)


Firstly, Higher Ground will die without prayer. And this is no exaggeration. Therefore, COP MUST go on. No matter if there are only 2 or 3 of you, the prayer must go on! The prayer coordinator need not chair every single prayer meet but COP is compulsory for ALL committee members (try to open it to the rest). The one thing that has been bothering me about the HG board is your personal walk with the Lord. I know it is hard to pray every single day, believe me, I know. But if there isn’t a relationship with your Father, do you know why you’re a Christian? Do you know why are you serving Him? Why are you serving in HG? Don’t do it because it’s a routine. Do it because you love Him. Sit alone, dig deep, look inside and find your first love. Retrace that feeling, that moment where you had dedicated your life to Him. Love Him again. It’s tiring I know, but this phrase helped me throughout my quiet time years. “When you don’t feel like doing it, DO IT!” And every time you do it, reward yourself because it makes the devil mighty mad! And do it everyday, because every time you do it, you’ve WON a Victory! It’s like you’ve shot down an enemy! I don’t know about you, but every time I pray, I feel very happy because I know I’ve won and satan has failed to stop me! Huahahahahhahaaha…. XD



Don’t lol me!



Anyway, it is okay to enjoy the hype, the fame, and being at the front lines. But do you know what front liners do? In battle, they are either the first ones who manages to attack the enemy or the first ones who gets killed. You ARE Higher Ground’s front liners. If you aren’t strong enough, satan will defeat you. It is normal to have disagreements, normal to dislike the habits of others, and normal to have different mindsets. We are all made different. But we don’t do what’s best for us; we do what’s best for His Kingdom. We serve the same God, who is also our Father and Best friend.


Why do we worship? Remember the song “When the Music Fades”? Remember the line, “I’m sorry Lord for the thing I’ve made it”? Matt Redman, the writer, wasn’t apologizing for his sins nor was he asking for the Lord to dismiss his transgressions. He was apologizing for making worship a ‘thing’. “I’m sorry Lord for the ‘thing’ I’ve made it, cause it’s all about You, it’s all about You, Jesus.” Is worship a ‘thing’ to us? Is it about the music, how good the band members are or how lovely the worship leader sounds? Think about it. Can we worship without music? Without singing? Without humming to a song? Just silence?


One cannot worship something he/she doesn’t love. Love the Lord with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. HIS commandment, not mine.


(Albeit that, the new comers might not be able to comprehend. So, please play decent music, sing songs within our capabilities and try not to make people cringe to deafening sound).


What is a leader without his followers? What is Higher Ground without its members? The purpose of HG is to bring people to the Lord, save lives, do out the Great Commission (make disciples). That’s when Publicity comes in. Cliques have constantly been a problem in HG. It drives people away. I’ve spoken to a few people. They’ve stopped attending HG because, “Everyone is in cliques”, “The ushers only usher themselves”, and “The committee only talks to the committee”. This is a very sad setback for HG. THEY are the ones we need to reach out to. THEY are Higher Ground’s purpose. It broke my heart to hear that coming from my own friend. I want to challenge you to change this. This 2008, break this norm that we’ve been trying to break in 7 years. Ushers, serve the people, befriend them, and talk to them. If needed, sit with them throughout the whole session. One usher per new comer. Take down their numbers, update them. Guys to guys, girls to girls. I’ve experienced stalkers through this, so yea, don’t give out your numbers to the opposite gender if you don’t wanna get into trouble. Serve the people just as the Lord served His disciples. Amen?


Finally, make your life a living testimony. We are our own preaching. People might not be able to understand what the Pastor and Speaker is sharing, but they can see and understand our actions. Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, “What do people see in me?” “Am I a good example of a Christian?” Evaluate yourself. Pray and ask the Lord to make you more like Jesus. One thing I’ve learnt from “Evan Almighty” (the movie), when you ask for patience, the Lord doesn’t give you patience. He gives you the opportunity to practice it. When you ask for strength, He gives you the opportunity to be strong. Always remember, when we are weak, His strength is made perfect!


And so, I’ll end my preaching here. XP


I think that’s all I needed to tell you. Since I can’t be there to pray with you, I will pray here for you all... ; )





Dear Father,

I wanna commit Higher Ground into Your loving hands. I thank You for this new committee, I thank You for Your grace and mercy and that Your hand has never left Higher Ground for the past 7 years. And on this eighth year, I pray that you will continue to bless us and lead us in our ways. I commit Jasmine, Hui Shun, Amos, Michel, Joanne, Vincent and Jasher, Shirley and Hendriq into Your mighty hands. I pray that you grant them wisdom, hope, strength, peace, joy and love for You. That in You, all things are possible. And in this New Year, new things will happen, new people will come for HG, new leaders will rise up, new gifts of the Holy Spirit will be revealed and a new passion will burn for You. I pray that you’d minister to every single member of HG. That You will rain down on them and walk with them constantly. Lord, I pray that they’ll lay down every burden, every condemnation, every worry and every depression at Your feet. I pray that You’d enlighten them with Your presence. You’d grant them the gift of discernment, wisdom and power to lead this generation. That every work of the devil will be broken down in Your name. I pray Lord that You’d grant them the discipline to spend time with You, I pray that You’d always be their tower of refuge. I thank You so much for all You’ve done for us this far. And I also thank You for everything that You are going to do and have in store for us. I pray all these in Your most precious name…

And all God’s children say?

AMEN!











composed by abelene

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails